Saturday, November 28, 2009

Can sudden hair loss be a result of hormones associated with breastfeeding?

I hope someone can offer some words of wisdom. My daughter is 15 months and breastfeeding and of course eating solids, too. I just started menstruating again 2 weeks ago. Now I am losing hair all over the place. My pillow is covered with hair when I wake up and I lose lots in the shower when I wash my hair. Could this be hormonal? The only medicine I take are my prenatals which I've been on for over 2 years now.



Can sudden hair loss be a result of hormones associated with breastfeeding?

When you arre pregnant you hair grows thicker and longer due to the hormones that are produced when you are pregnant. Once you have the baby and you breastfeed these hormones continue to produce in your body to trick the body to think you are pregnant. This is why you do not get your period while your breastfeeding. Your body still thinks you are pregnant. Once you start to ween your child the hormone production will slow down and the side effects of this hormone will subside e.i. Hair growth. Your hair will shed any excess it has grown during your pregnancy. This could also be a sign of low iron in your body!! Check it out here: http://www.babycenter.com/expert/baby/po...



Can sudden hair loss be a result of hormones associated with breastfeeding?

no



Can sudden hair loss be a result of hormones associated with breastfeeding?

Oh my. I wouldn't think that breast feeding would do that, but I have never breast fed either of my kids. You should call your doctor to be for sure. It could be or it could be something worse or not. I hope not. CALL YOUR DOCTOR!! And good luck.



Can sudden hair loss be a result of hormones associated with breastfeeding?

I have never breast fed and i"m loosing my hair too.



Can sudden hair loss be a result of hormones associated with breastfeeding?

Your hair loss could be related more to your body realizing you're not pregnant or providing for a baby anymore...more so than breastfeeding. I've read a lot (%26amp; breastfed for 6 months) and I haven't come across anything that says breastfeeding would cause it.



I did, however, read that you stop losing hair when you get pregnant (some weird hormonal reaction) and that you'll start losing hair again after you give birth. Perhaps your body now feels your hormones should be returning back to normal (especially since you received your period) and so you're losing a lot of hair while it returns to normal.



Hope this helps!



Can sudden hair loss be a result of hormones associated with breastfeeding?

Yes, when I stopped breastfeeding at 8 months I lost a ton of hair. I thought for sure that I was going bald! My doc said it was natural because your horomones are returning to what they once were and that while you were pregnant and breastfeeding that your hair became thicker, so you're only losing what you gained.



On a side note, I had very curly hair before I was pregnant, now my hair is almost straight!



Can sudden hair loss be a result of hormones associated with breastfeeding?

I did start shedding a lot of hair after my daughters were born, but it was mostly in the shower when washing my hair. That was around the time that they were 3-6 months old, then I started growing it back again. I thought for sure that I would be bald by the time my daughter turned one, but I guess pregnancy just gives you extra hair. If it seems excessive, talk to your doctor though... it could be the beginning of alopecia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
loan